In a message dated 1/19/2004 5:43:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> I prefer a live orchestra, even it would not be that perfect in tune or
> committing mistakes here & there, but full of expression &
> enthusiasm,
> just human & not a machine !
>
> Hans Pizka

Again, my heart is in complete agreement with your thoughts.  It's a sad fact that the
artists usually put far more into creating the music than the average listener gets
out.  As musicians, we tend to be exposed to the more avid, intellectual, and
experienced segment of the audience, one of the greatest joys we derive from our own
involvement.  Unfortunately, this segment does not represent a large enough percentage
of sales to interest the bean counters, and is the segment that is least effected by
marketing and promotion.

The first group to suffer from this evolving technology will be the studio musicians.
Already, it is common practice to use only top first chair players and synth in the
tutti players.  With this kind of software, that will probably become universal
practice.  With the bread and butter studio positions being eliminated, the
competition for serious performing positions will become fierce.  What would happen if
all the young, hot shot, studio musicians in LA, or other major cities, got really
serious about joining the Philharmonic?

On the other hand, this could cause a huge interest in live performance.  In the last
few years, I've almost stopped buying glitzy new performances.  They are way
overpriced, and way over produced.  I go to Tower, or comparable volume discounters,
and look for cheap recordings of interesting works, often done by Russian or Eastern
European orchestras.  The digital recording technology is usually excellent, and the
recording is pretty much a live take.  The price of making CDs is so low that a major
orchestra could probably make all its performances available in live recording.
Really obvious blunders can be fixed pretty seamlessly.  Wouldn't it be interesting to
subscribe to a yearly series of CDs comparing pairs of major orchestras performing
identical concerts?

I don't want to be the voice of doom.  We musicians are the ones who need to have the
vision and promote it in every little way we can, any time we get the opportunity.  As
sophomoric as the horn list can get, and I do enjoy the wide humor we share, promoting
and sharing our dreams is the real function, and a responsibility we all seem to
accept.