Also, in the case of the home theatre and extreme car stereos, you have to
factor in the use of subwoofers and the inherent omni directionality of
extreme low bass frequencies.  This is why when setting up your home
theatre, it doesn¹t matter where the subwoofer goes, but the satellites
(which handle mid and high frequencies) have to be positioned very
precisely. In addition, a home system (stereo or theatre) will use the
floor, wall and any other solid surface as a resonator. My home stereo has
medium small speakers sitting on some storage units that are backed up to
the wall. At any volume other than almost inaudible, EVERYONE  in my
building can hear what I¹m listening to. Take a good look around any
automobile and you¹ll notice an abundance of hollow spaces (covered by
plastic interior panels) that are perfect resonators.

There¹s much more involved than just the actual point of sound production.
Otherwise, a good bell wouldn¹t be so important.

Mark

 "Graeme Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

I'm not convinced about this. In the case of my neighbour's theatre sound,
when you are in the room with it the bass is much less noticeable than when
you are outside, when it is the only thing you can hear. It is only a small
system, too

Cheers,

MARK TAYLOR MUSIC
Original music for indie film, dance, theatre and jazz
http://www.mark-taylor.biz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The new CD ³Circle Squared² is available at:
http://www.cdbaby.com/marktaylor
http://www.omnitone.com/store/artists/taylormark.htm

Listen to more music at:
http://stage.vitaminic.com/main/mark_taylor/