On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Hans Pizka wrote:

> Have you ever thought about the difference of black clouds like in a
> tornado or hurrican or typhoon and black smoke like from a fire in a
> rubber plant or fire in a power station ?

Interesting point - I haven't thought about this until just now.  I'd say
that an outstanding difference is that it is a lot easier to set a rubber
plant or power station fire to music than a tornado, et al.  That is
because in the case of the industrial fires, the sirens of the firetrucks
and ambulances play an audible role early on.  In Europe, that would be
the steady rhythm of minor 4th intervals.  In the USA we get the
continuous rise and fall of analog sirens mixed with the newer electronic
bells and whistles of assorted emergency vehicles.  All very inspirational
for an opera composer, moreso than the thuds and whooshy winds of tornados
and hurricanes.

> If so, you might understands my previous message about solemn powerful
> low range (dark march !) and mere farting around obnoxiously.

But more seriously, and I hope to the point - Hans didn't say which
category of smoke is "solemn powerful" and which is "farting around
obnoxiously".  The rubber fire is likely to be thick and dark, more
discernible as an entity clearly delineated from its surroundings, hence
more powerful, if not solemn.  Tornados pick up all kinds of stuff -
trees, dust, pieces torn off of buildings, cows and other farm animals -
not only is the constitution and the extent of such a cloud vague, but
since it is likely to contain methane producing mammals - scared shitless,
I might add - for that reason alone this kind of cloud will have more
farting around obnoxiously.

Hans - is that what you meant, or do I have it backwards?

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }