From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 1:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Re: Shost.5

Yes. I completely agree Hans. I'm happy you pointed that out. What gets
me in
this country is the "anti-musicians" as you call it teaching the
"anti-musicians". Even in auditions now in this country Shosty 5 is
asked to be
rediculously farty and loud, which is not dark.

One of my teachers mentioned something about intensity versus volume
many
times. It's a concept which is invaluable. Loudness sometimes doesn't
get the job
done, but a sound that is intense gets the point across.

I believe it was David Kriehbal (sp?) who I can remember saying Shosty 5
is
"sheer terror." And if you look at it that way it's not loud that
frightenes
but the intensity that carries over the terror in movies and such. In
fact the
scariest parts of the old Hitchcock movies are the moments when there
isn't any
sound at all, but there is just this sheer intensity or dread looming
over
everything. There is a scene in The Birds which is a perfect example.
Not a
single sound, but a wonderful mood of sheer terror.

Oh well, just my two pfennings there :)

-William

In a message dated 2/1/2004 4:29:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>   Mike Hatfield once pointed out to me that (he always managed to slap
me
> upside the head ever so diplomatically) "It's written for 4 horns
marked F,
> not
> 2 horns marked FF"
>
> - Steve Mumford