In a message dated 2/3/2004 10:27:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Dear hornists,
>
> Would you mail me any duets for french horn and viola that
> you know of?

Recently I performed a duet that has been one of my favorites for odd recitals and
incidental music for many years.  I originally heard this duet on an old Sousa Band
recording, performed by the band's flute player and solo alto player.  The title is
Serenade, by A.E. Titl.  The sheet music lists about any duet combination imaginable.
The parts are fairly simple, but the first part is heavily embellished, which
contributes greatly to the turn of the century schmaltz.

The copyright is 1908, by Carl Fischer, New York.  The piano part is headed by Theatre
Orch. 280.  When I bought the music, in 1963, from Carl Fischer, Boston, it had been
in their files a long while.  The printed price was full band or orchestra $1.00,
piano accompanyment, $0.25.  The arrangement I found, by Theo. Moses, was piano,
flute, and cello.  I've performed it both on horn, and more recently, on a period solo
alto (bell front alto).  For violin and piano, it is a great encore piece with the
Brahmes Trio.