The late Philip Jones pioneered the 10 piece brass ensemble format:

4 trumpets
1 horn
4 trombones
1 tuba

A US/Chicago tuba friend plays in a such ensemble and called for more
repertory for this format. Which inspired me to make some arrangements.

Heinrich Schütz (1585 - 1672) wrote the cantata ³Die sieben Worte Jesu
Christi am Kreuz² in Dresden in 1645. The opening Sinfonia is set for SATTB
viols.

I have previously made arrangements of this wonderful piece to which I have
added 2 optional solo voices improvising/embellishing over the original
setting. An optional continuo part set for guitar also has been added. One
version is set for 5 tutti horns (a" is the top note in the 1st horn part)
with 2 optional solo horns.

For the 10 piece format I have made 2 versions. One has the solo parts
played by an A piccolo trumpet and a D trumpet. The other has the solo parts
played an octave lower by a flugelhorn and a horn in F or Eb.

All versions of the Schütz Sinfonia can be found here:

A0%A0%FCtz%20Jesu%207%20Worte%20Am%20Kreuz/>

Another part of the 10 piece brass project has been a few excerpts from the
2nd act of Mozart's Magic Flute. So far #11 and #15 have been uploaded:

20-%20The%20Magic%20Flute/>

My download homepage has a link for the index of all my uploaded music files
(almost). You can download them for free when I have received your reply to
my "Welcome"-mail. Players already approved of course have direct access.

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark
Retired teacher

Free music files in .pdf format:
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans: