Hello to All,
     I am going to throw my two cents into this discussion.  I have several
friends that teach middle school, and I have numerous students from the
schools that study with me.
     I think the Holton H179 is a wonderful student horn.  I have never had
a problem with tuning them, and most of the problems have been in the valve
area, and most of those were minor or due to student neglect.
     I had a student who played the Yamaha 567 for three years, the horn
played well, and he had a gorgeous sound on it. The horn was also very sound
mechanically.  The problem, as I believe Walt pointed out was with the
tuning the horn.  For that reason alone I hesitate to recommend it.
     One of the middle school teachers, who is also a hornist is considering
replacing all of the school's King horns with the Conn 6D. I have always
liked the 6D, and  never had any problems with them.  I am not sure what the
price differencce is between the 9D and the 6D, the 9D may be out of the
schools price range, and may not even be on the official school board bid
list. (if they have a bid list, I know we do)
     Yamaha makes a really nice single Bb horn that plays very well, and has
proven to be a very reliable instrument, I remember is costing in the
$1000.00 range.  Very playable by smaller players.
      I strongly recommend NOT BUYING whatever that thing is that King tries
to pass off as a student model horn.  I am sure we all know the ones with
the plastic arms on the Bb trigger.
      Happy Thoughts,
      Chris Bonner