Last month I had the pleasure of performing
Cosi fan tutte on natural horn.  None of the
other orchestra players played an authentic
instrument - but it was not so polished a production
that my hand horn stood out.

Pleasure faded when disaster struck.
During the fifth performance, just before the
first act finale, I discovered that I couldn't remove
the A crook.  Oof!  I fled the pit, and struggled some
more with the horn, failing to remove the crook,
but wrecking it in the process.  I rushed home and retrieved
my valvehorn, returning in time for the downbeat
to the second act.

A week later, a local repairperson was able to remove
the crook.  The corpus of the horn was okay, but the
crook was, in the immortal words of the late Richard Nixon,
not A crook.

So I shipped it off to distant parts where former
crooks reform their ways.  Yesterday it reappeared on
my doorstep, ready once again to do serious mischief
to Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, and polished
to a dazzling brilliance that puts my other
crooks to shame.

So, hand horn people, check out Eccles. 7:13
and consider yourself warned.

gotta go,
cabbage