First: we do not invite candidates from outside Europe. They must live
here before we invite them. Citizenship does not matter (they actually
originated from 3 continents, but not the USA)

Second: tuning has nothing to do with taste. As "tuned" means something
"absolute" there is no choice left.

All candidates ( 6 female, 13 male in 1st round but 2 male & 2 female in
the 2nd round).

Their German, Austrian & American teachers themselves are that much
focussed on the Bb-horn (all here), that they forget the right way of
tuning both sides with the best notes. May-be, these teachers have never
heard about the overtones, the partials, where they are located, sharp
or flat or in tune, nor seem they having ever taught their students
regarding tuning. Probably, they just say to them when listening to
their playing: "the f is too flat !" - and the student stops & fumbles
on the slide. If the student gets his horn tuned in the lesson - how at
all if the never play together with the piano except when preparing a
recital - the student tunes it to the pitch bb.

Our instrument - as a single horn - is better in tune, than a double
horn generally, as it is a hybrid instrument. So we have to use both
sides to chose the best tuned pitches. If we hang on the one side
(hanging on the Bb-side while the bell section is designed to the
F-side) we cannot play in tune. If one playas on a single Bb or a single
F, no problem. Bell & body of the horn fit together. The few sharp or
flat pitches are controlled by the lip or right hand action easily.

While listening to the audition & watching the candidates (that is
another important aspect of the audition), I did not notice any single
right hand action to correct a particular pitch.

I remember one candidate of a student audition, who tried to tune his
horn to the piano "a". She was quite flat with her "a" on the Bb-horn.
So she opened the right hand very wide, but left the tuning slide as it
was. Insane. Absolute blame for the teacher.

And on and on.

There are so many people with Internet access. Why the heck don't they
visit my pages. There is a lot about the right use of the double horn.
Do they fear to blame themselves by reading this useful stuff ?

I am really disappointed about wasting my time in the audition
committee.