On Apr 4, 2004, at 12:00 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[...] should only accept the best, but it seems like you count people out way
too soon. I understand that tuning is a major part of professional
everyday playing, but was the five minutes you gave them really enough
to judge them?

Speaking as a buyer of professional orchestra tickets and recordings, not as an amateur player, I'd opine that five seconds sometimes is sufficient to judge a performer's musicality. My experience, listening to many student and professional recitals over the years, is that fundamental flaws of musicality, e.g. poor intonation, show up right away in a performance and usually don't improve. As I understand professional orchestra standards, everything has to be played correctly the first time, and played correctly every time. Therefor, one 'strike' (as in USA baseball batting) and you may be out!

A rhetorical question for music teachers: how is musicality taught? Can it even be taught?

-ct

_______________________________________________ post: [EMAIL PROTECTED] set your options at http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/archive%40jab.org