Believe it or not, in my G&S group, we have had several soloists who had a hard time
going just slow enough not to make mincemeat of the words, despite the music directors
insistence on sowing down.  It seems that people unconsciously have the need to use
such pieces to show off what they can do. [or can't]
Dave J.

David Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This phenomenon shows up often in Gilbert & Sullivan patter songs - they
tend to be played so fast that the singer can barely keep up, and the
effect is unstable. It takes a brave musical director to ease up a bit so
that the singer stays with with the orchestra and the words are
understandable.