Interestingly, Faure composed his Requiem for strings
without violins (except for one solo line), 2 horns,
and maybe a bassoon.  His publisher requested an
EXPANDED version for full orchestra for the same
reasons cited below.

Eric James

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:42:57 -0700 (PDT), David Jewell
wrote:

> Hi Walt - the Durufle is originally scored for full
> orchestra, chorus, and organ. Eventually there was a
> "condensed" version for strings and trumpets, which is
> what you have.  It would certainly make discussions of
> these type of questions easier if more people were
> aware of the fact that many famous "grand"
compositions