Hello hornplayers,

Sorry for the crosspost.
This message was posted to the Music Library Association mailinglist yesterday. Can somebody help this person?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        [MLA-L] Rudolf/Rudolph Mayer--horn music
Date:   Fri, 7 May 2004 11:37:23 -0400
From:   Black, Mary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is addressed to horn players, horn historians, horn librarians... a very specific
horn music question which can be ignored by everyone else:-)
I am trying to resolve some old problems with some 20th C. horn ensemble music.  OCLC hasn't many records, and two
or three that are in the database were "reconned" from Michigan State's own old cataloging.  MSU has eight
scores by this composer.  I have three of them in front of me; two use "Rudolph", one uses
"Rudolf".  They are ms reproductions and appear to be in the same handwriting; whether the composer's or a
copyist's is not indicated.  Some were attached during recon to records for Mayer, Rudolph, 1837-1865, but he seems
to have nothing to do with music and certainly isn't the same person.  Nor is this man the same as any of the other
OCLC NA entries for Mayer, Rudolf/Rudolph.  Our faculty horn professor doesn't know which is correct either.

I've looked in horn bibliographies, various biographical dictionaries, and even emailed the Los Angeles Horn Club. Mayer is not in any of the resources and I have not heard back from anyone at the Club. The scores and parts all bear the imprint of the Horn Realm, in Far Hills, NJ, but they appear to be out of business. Southern Music's website lists two compositions by Rudolf Mayer for horn, but no further information.

All this came up because a conscientious patron checked out a score and parts for his ensemble and a couple of parts were lost. He'd like to replace -- and, in looking at that problem, I re-discovered this entry problem.

If I don't hear anything definitive from anyone, I will probably recatalog our scores
under Mayer, Rudolf, 20th C., composer.
That will leave a few other entries in OCLC with questionable attribution.

Mary Black Junttonen, Michigan State University.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________ post: [EMAIL PROTECTED] set your options at http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/archive%40jab.org