First: take it out of the case
Second: put the mouthpiece on the front end
Third: take the horn up with the left hand & place the right hand in the
bell
Fourth: check if the tuning slides are pulled out for some short length
(some 2 cms)
Fifth: check the valve slides, if they are pulled out, mostly 1cm for
first valve slide, 0,5 - 0,7 cm for the no.2 slide and a bit more than 1
cm up to 1,5 cms for the third valve. The second row below: all slides
pulled out just a bit less than the upper row.
Sixth: check if the valves are working properly.

Seventh: Try a few scales & feel if the horn is still very dry & stiff.
Eighth: If the horn sounds stiff, go to the bath room & water rinse the
horn.
Nineth: get the water out completely & re-oil the horn
Tenth: try playing again, but play as usual.
Tenth: if some pitches seem not to work properly, - pitches off course,
where you use valves or valve combinations , adjust the valve slides
until these pitches work. Don’t reach for the very high notes here. Keep
them for the time when you know the new horn.

If all is set properly now, start playing as usual.

Metal protection: keep it clean outside & inside. If you use a micro
fibre towel to whip the places where you hold or just touch the horn,
well, the blank metal will keep its shine.

I am used to play on brand new horns, which I take from my maker, rush
to the opera & play Fidelio or Rosenkavalier without some "exploration"
before. I just set the valve slides as usual & check the combinations 12
& 23. That´s it.