Thanks for catching me on that.  I'm to familiar with my own
instructions.  It is also good to slop the baking soda rinse all over
the outside, especially if you can't resist using the acid cleaner for a
little tarnish removal on the outside, or if you've done some soldering
with acid flux solder.

I've become partial to the hydrochloric acid toilet bowl cleaner that
'clings to the bowl'.  My guess is they thicken it with fumed silica or
alumina (Cabosil or Alon-C).  Does anyone know for sure or whether the
additive might pose a potential problem.  I haven't seen any problems so
far.  I buy mine from an industrial cleaning place, by the case.  A
quart generously does everything I want to do to a horn, and can
obviously be run down any drain with no more environmental consequence
than cleaning a toilet.  With a few stoppers from the hardware store, I
can isolate, and fill, the entire horn in stages.  I do it in the
kitchen sink with a strainer to hold upright various crooks.  I can even
  use the three timers on the microwave, and upper and lower ovens.
Make your claim to full use kitchen time so no one else is
inconvenienced.  The HCl content varies by product.  A web search for
the materials safety data sheet, MSDS, will easily locate any product
and list the ingredients and concentration