Message text written by The Horn List
>Anybody ever play Peter Maxwell Davies' 'Orkney Sunrise and Wedding'? This
modern orchestral piece has a piper enter toward the end. <

Dear All

If anybody gets booked to play this on 2nd - have a look at the part
beforehand!

It is very amusing to watch the reaction of the audience when playing this
piece and at the entry of the bagpipes.  We did it several times with the
piper being George Mclwham (who was one 3rd flute/piccolo in the BBC
Scottish Symphony Orchestra).  He entered, complete with kilt and sporran,
from the back of the hall and we could see people looking around with looks
of bemusement on their faces to see where this sound was coming from.

It reminded me of Schnitke's 'Faust' cantata which we did many years ago
and where a contralto soloist enters in the same way.  The conductor for
this when we did it was Gennadi Rozdhestvensky  (Schnike was there - near
to the end of his life).  Mr  Rozdhestvensky was given two purely
orchestral rehearsals for the cantata.  We spent about half of the morning
on it before his voice boomed all around Huddersfield Town Hall - "we
rehearse again tomorrow when we have sin-G-ers!" and we all went home about
5 hours early!  Talk about early finishing conductors wasting money!

Cheers

Paul Kampen - 4th horn, Orchestra of Opera North (Leeds UK)