So, how does one use this parameter in selecting a mpc?

Comparing my largest volume mpc with my smallest volume mpc, it appears that
there are other factors besides the mpc that affect the pop tone that we hear,
including:
a) exactly where on the palm of your hand that you hit--hit on the ball under
the index finger and the tone is significantly higher;
b) how well the mpc hits straight-on affects the resonance;
c) where your ear is in relation the mpc affects how much resonance your hear.

Now, an interesting finding is, when you reverse the mpc and hit the shank end
on your palm, the tone characteristics are reversed: the shallow bowled, smaller
volume mpc will now have the lower tone.  Why?  Because now the effective resonating
cavity is the shank and back bore which is a greater volume for the smaller-bowled
mpcs.