My take on matters is to just always be prepared. You'll never really know
how dead/live, cold/hot, stuffy/drafty, big/small the room will be.

Personally though the 'acclimatizing' thing sounds like you're climbing a
mountain. This audition isn't up in the Andes is it?

I jest anyways.

But back to the point the best thing you can do for any audition I feel is to
be prepared no matter what. Be able to play your stuff cold, on someone elses
horn, on someone else's mouthpiece, in the middle of a crowd during a
revolution in Cuba. Be able to play it upside down, while juggling, in four-part
harmony.

I continute to jest...

BUT the point is the same. If it's an orchestral audition - learn all the
horn parts, listen to the music, read from the scores, listen to several
recordings of several different orchestras even from different time periods. Play
along with them from the full orchestra parts. Research the context of the piece.
Read why the piece was written, when it was written, maybe even where. Even if
they never call for some obscure lick in Brahms 4, at least you'll know it
for when you might have to play it. Preperation does a body good.

You can never be too prepared :)

-William

P.S: These are just my own personal musings - feel free to take them with big
grains of salt.

In a message dated 7/28/2004 2:45:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,