On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Ray & Sonja Crenshaw wrote:

> > I found that a standard 25-foot hose is just about in D
>
> What? How so?...

It was closer to D than any other key, and I rehearsed the Mozart #1 this
way the night before the performance.  But I began the performance with
some shtick involving cutting the hose roughly in half, to bring the key
up one octave.  So it was about 12 feet long, still in D, but much better
sound, wider spaces between tones, and a lot less resistance.  A 50-ft
hose would probably also be about in D, but hardly practical.  More of a
stuffy tube-a.  And about 6 feet would make high-D-hose.  You could cut
the 25-ft hose in 4 of these to play quartertets.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }