Well I ultrasonically clean my valves every few weeks. I've had great
experience with it, and I love the job it does.

For the horn itself, if you rinse it out with a little soap and water every
month, generally you'll never get any green buildup inside or dirt accumulating
in the leadpipe. Remember to snake your slides/pipes out every now and then,
too.

With ultrasonic cleaning there are a few misconceptions. First, it will not
always make your valves shiny. Ultrasonic cleaning does not remove any metal
from the valve as far as I know, and it only removes dirt and oil. Second, is
that just plain warm water alone may not get the valves clean. Sometimes I put
soapy water in the cleaner with the first cycle, and use a rinse cycle second.
Plain water cannot break away the oil like a little mild liquid soap can.

With acid baths, you have to dunk the valve in the acid, then dunk it in a
base to stop the reaction. Plus it does remove a small part of the valve - so
you cannot acid bath your valves more than a two or three times a year at the
most.

I've given my valves an ultrasonic cleaning every month for eight months now,
and so far it works like a dream. Hardly any dirt is building up on the
valve, and even though they're not shiny anymore (it is a 14 year old horn), they
aren't dirty either.

To get the entire horn cleaned ultrasonically you have to take it to someone
who has a gigantic cleaner. Since this can be expensive - it is sometimes far
easier to just run preventative maintenence on your horn and rinse it with
soap and water every now and then.

Although, ultrasonic cleaning is harmless to metal pretty much, so you don't
run much risk by having it done.

-William

In a message dated 9/7/2004 9:24:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,