Does anyone know what issue Dr. Robert Pyle's article can be found in? Or any other articles on this subject? Thanks, Carson

From: "Hans Pizka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Horn List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Stopped Horn Pitch
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:33:37 +0200 (MEST)

It seems a bit difficult to fill the mouth with helium at many places where
stopping occurs right after a very short pause of just half a measure or
less, like before the last written long held "e" in the Long Call.

And to Carson: timber & timbre a most different things.

To William: the F horn came first place not because of the abilities to
produce a better pitched stopped sound. It came as first choice because of
the sound qualities (4 - 5 additional sounds enriching the quality, while
the Bb horn has 1 - 3, the high F just the mere wave). Indeed, one can
arrive at similar sound qualities with a well blown Bb horn, and sometimes
the Bb horn must be the only choice for the best result. Also, these
decisions are not for the average non professional but for the very
professional who really controls the horn.

William & Karl gave quite excellent explanations for the "gestopft" &
"gedaempft" (Echo horn is not the same as "hand muted" or "gedaempft" , it
is a different effect), while Graeme pointed to the complexity of this
thematic & its only relevance for academic research without any practical
benefit.

Knowing what to do rigt for the best possible result is much more important
than all theories. For those interested earnestly, I would recommend to read
the articles provided by acoustician & horn player Dr.Robert Pyle, some 15
years ago in the Horn Call.

Greetings from Madrid
Hans (on tour with Zubin Mehta, Don Quixote & Heldenleben)

<<<........  A similar effect happens when you

--
SigfridFafner the under ground horn player from Vienna

Superg?nstige DSL-Tarife + WLAN-Router f?r 0,- EUR*
Jetzt zu GMX wechseln und sparen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl