Well, I have always followed conventional wisdom with regard to scales, yet in all honesty while I can play an F# major scale three octaves with no problem, I will invariably stumble if given a something to play in F# major. I think people learn things differently, and the ability to transfer psycho-motor skills from one activity to another varies from person to person. The "carry-over" factor doesn't always apply to all people, I think. I have studied all of the standard etude material over the period of much of my lifetime, yet I find being able to play a Maxime-Alphonse or a Kopprasch etude is almost an entity unto itself, and might not relate to performing an orchestral work, or my ability to transfer the teaching point of a particular etude, doesn't transfer to real world playing. I know that this goes against conventional wisdom, it is a phenomenon, however that several of my teachers have remarked about over a period of years. I can't make what is applicable in A, applicable in B even though there might be some connection or patterning or similarity. I have learned to compensate for this and rely on painful rote learning which is not always realistic given the time frames that we are given sometimes.

Right now I am working on a horn part in B (IV horn 3rd mvt, Brahms 1st). Now I have done transposition studies in B, played horn in B before, yet when I practice that particular part, my fingers still fumble maybe once out of every three attempts....I have never been able to solve this problem, and I notice this with regard to learning other psycho-motor skills as well.

I think that people are wired different ways, and while conventional wisdom works for the majority of people most of the time, there are those who for whatever reason still encounter difficulties even when they follow it.

I sort of hated to get into true confessions here, but it is something that has vexed me for much of my 56 years of living. I probably had an undiagnosed learning disability as a kid...but then in the 50's people weren't into that.

There are no universal answers or perhaps it could be stated that there are exceptions to every rule.

Sincerely,

Mark L.