Hello all. I have a friend who, due to various sad reasons, has actively avoided music most of her life. She is now 64 and through our friendship she is starting to awaken to the joys of music. Not playing, just listening. Can anyone recommend a book (books) that would help her understand the whys and wherefores of music? I guess something like the history of music written for a non musician is what I'm after. Also, something included about how listening to music affects emotions. The book (books) should be on an intellectual level but not too clinical. Small order, I know! Thank you in advance for any on list and/or private answers. Karon Ismari