When I interview/audition a new student, either in studio or at KBHC, in
order to look at the player's embouchure, I ask for a three octave F major
(concert Bb) scale, starting on pedal F, slurred to top line F, breath, and back
down.  Then, I ask for the arpeggio, same way.

About half the people, including college performance majors and HS kids
planning to be performance majors don't even KNOW their scales and arpeggios, no
less practice them every day.

The next part of the process is to play notes on the piano and have the
student play them on the horn in order to determine if they can recognize
intervals.  About half or more will fail miserably at this, also.

IMO, you need to KNOW all your scales, arpeggios, broken arpeggios and
intervals in order to maximize your limited practice time.  Practice them until you
KNOW them.  Then, a daily or weekly or monthly or yearly or bi-annual or
decadenal routine of them for maintenance, whatever, is up to you.  This knowledge,
coupled with impeccable rhythm, will enable you to sight-read better, learn
music quicker, and perform in general at the highest level.

If you are inclined to be a professional, without it, you will end up
"pumping gas" as the old saying goes.  (I guess the updated version of that is
"flipping burgers").  That's not to say that I have known some pro's who were lousy
sight readers, though, but I think they never played to the best of their
abilities or competed well at the highest level with those who could.

Don't neglect any fundamentals.  If you don't have them mastered, then you
had better practice them until you do.  Then, it's easier (and faster in the
long run) to go on to learning repertoire.

Personally, I practice scales, arpeggios and broken arpeggios often.  At
least several days each week.  Helps keep my lip in shape and my mind and ear
alert.  I vary the sides I use to make the fingerings interesting.  I can sight
read anything you put in front of me and have no fingering problems on any
instrument I pick up.  Single, double, descant, triple, F, Bb, HiF, Eb, you name
it.  It took a lot of study and practice to get to this point, not just on the
horn, but ear training, solfege and piano as well.  Use your time effectively
and you can get there, too, if you make a plan.

Your $100 tip of the day.

Kendall Betts