Message text written by The Horn List
>>From my experiences with my hometown G&S troupe, there are usually always
2 horn parts in the score.  I don't think he ever used more than that, but
he might have.  <

Dear All

Sullivan never scored for more than two horns in the G&S canon but
occasionally did so in some of his other works.  There is an overture
called 'Di Ballo' which is fairly well known on this side of the pond and
this has 4 horns.  There is a CD in the catalogue of his 'Macbeth' overture
with yours truly playing the 4th horn part (about which I can remember
nothing!)  Sadly, when Sullivan tried his hand at 'serious' opera he
produced some real horrors (if you are offered a gig playing one -
especially 'Ivanhoe' -  think twice unless you are short of money!).
However, his 'Irish Symphony' is a lovely piece and he wrote some nice
choral works.

BTW - as a first year music student in Manchester in 1966/67 I had it
drummed into me that Sullivan's well known 'Lost Chord' was the worst tune
ever written - discuss!

Cheers

Paul A. Kampen (W.Yorks UK)