>date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:34:21 +0800
>from: "Joe Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>subject: [Hornlist] Flight of the bumblebee
>
>Hi,
>does anyone know of any horn recordings of flight of the bumblebee? if so,

>who? and wat record label?
>regards,
>jon

Yes, one, jon (or is it Jon?).

Rudi Mazac has done number of, mostly self produced and manufactured, CDs.
The only one that has even remotely the appearance of a conventionally
produced CD (other than one consisting entirely of hunting fanfares) is
called "Classics on the French Horn" on the Tyrolis label. It is entirely
schlocky transcriptions of classical hits, some horn related like
Freischuetz hunting chorus and the Tannhauser Pilgrims chorus, but mostly
they are Flight of the bumblebee, Turkish march, Khatchaturian Saber dance,
"Elvira Madigan" Andante, you get the drift? This isn't to say that his
ghastly arrangements (synthesized) and excessive over-the-top double
tonguing don't make for a wonderful "party record". This CD can be gotten
from www.koebl.de (along with several of his other "efforts") at 18-20 Euro
a pop (ouch), plus substantial postage and they don't do charges, so you
have to pay another 15 bucks or so for a wire transfer (ouch again) or just
send cash if you can find a bank that will sell you Euros and you feel
lucky. You may also be able to locate it through jpc.de (probably a cheaper
option if they have it).

I have all of his recordings that I have been able to find (there are at
least 6 or 7) since I am unable to stay away from "unique" recordings of
horn music, even if unique is sometimes synonymous with "atrocious" or
simply weird. I am not too impressed musically or technically and think he
may be a convert from some other brass instrument. There is, however,
something undeniably "different" about most of his recordings.

None of his CDs have more than minimal, usually Xeroxed, inserts with no
biographical material at all; maybe Hans knows a bit about him.

Peter Hirsch