From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 9:51 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] silver plating - to Dr.Robert Pyle

Hans,

I see from your web site that the Pizka Classic is made from 0.45 mm
(0.018 inch) metal stock.  This is the same weight material as my
beloved heavy bell Cleveland Chambers.  With that stiffness in the bell,
the horn should be very efficient and easily fill a large hall with a
relaxed mf.  With such a stiff bell, I would expect lacquer to have a
minimal effect.  Are your Vienna horns made from the same weight sheet
stock?  Some of the European horn makers offer horn made from thinner
metal specifically to lower the efficiency and quiet them down.
Thinner, more flexible metal, will absorb more of the acoustic energy in
the sound column.  It should re-radiate this from the sides of the horn,
unless there is a damping layer of lacquer.  If a horn is leaking sound
from the sides, it is possible that it will seem louder to the player,
especially with the lacquer removed.

An efficient horn will radiate most of the sound from the bell.  If
there is poor reflection, or the reflection misses your ear, it can feel
like playing in outer space.

I'm just making some educated guesses hoping someone will either confirm
my thinking or set me straight.  Posting observations like this is the
way we can all contribute to advancing the technology.  Thank you.