From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Wilbert Kimple
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 4:39 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] "Screech horns"

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello, hornophiles--
I was listening to a performance of the Schumann Horn Konzerstueck and
trying
not to get depressed about how far I am from ever achieving that level
of
playing when a thought occurred:

What kind of horn would the first horn, whose part goes up to at least a

high "Z", play? A hornette? A picolo horn?

Jonathan Yoder
(For whom playing an "A" above the staff is a victory)

I've seen it done a couple of times with a standard double horn on the
first part.  Most of the time, including the two times I've done it, a
descant horn is used.  Mine is an alexander 107 in Bb and high F.   Phil
Myers (NY Phil) used his Schmid Bb high Eb when I heard his section do
it live two years ago.

The highest notes in the piece are a couple of high "Es", three ledger
lines above the treble staff.  They are in the third movement, and one
of them is really optional, at least in my arrangement.

Actually, in many ways, the second horn, which has to go to a high B,
has the hardest part, since it is out of their normal range.

Wilbert in SC