Well, I did say I wasn't a newbie to music, didn't I? :)

I have an interesting (I hope it's interesting to someone else) history with
perfect pitch.  I grew up playing the guitar (my father's choice for me, I
don't remember being asked) and had no clue I had perfect pitch.  I did no
school music, only private guitar lessons with a jazz teacher who, at my
father's insistence, also taught me classical guitar.  As part of my
agreement to get out of high school a year early, I had to take classes at
the local community college and decided to take "Intro to music" and just
loved it, so I decided, not having any particular career/study plans, to
enroll as a guitar major there.

At the community college, everyone was required to sing in the big chorus.
At my audition I was given the starting pitch for the tenor part to some
rather involved accompanied chorus piece, which I schlepped through as best
I was able.  The piece modulated at least once.  When we stopped, the
conductor said something like, "Not bad, Steve, let's try it again from the
beginning" and, before he could give me my pitch, I sang it, correctly to
him.  He asked me if I had perfect pitch and I answered, "What's that?"  It
took a while before it dawned on me and I used to answer "No" to the
question until people around me started getting irritated with me and said
things like, "Steve, if you _never_ make any mistakes, I think you have
perfect pitch."  So I started to work on it because it still didn't come
completely naturally to me - I picked a few notes and tried to memorize what
they sounded like and, lo and behold, things started to gel.  By the time I
was a couple of years into music school, I was able to sight read from Modus
Novus (20th century, atonal sight-singing exercises).

My oldest son, who is 12, still can't produce pitches on demand but he seems
to always sing, e.g., band parts he's playing in exactly the right key
without thinking about it, so I suspect he's going to be a late-blooming
perfect pitch person as well.

-S-