The subject of fingering is one of those subjects that some of the pros feel strongly
that they are the only ones qualified to answer definitively.  From my own experience,
just about every horn is different with regard to permissable fingerings.  My main
double allows almost any remotely conceivable fingering to be used in tune.  I
routinely use open fingerings on both low and high A.  If I'm dropping to the F horn,
1/2 brings extra tubing in to transition the Bb to F smoothly.  If I'm going fast,
open A works great.  Mozart 3, 3rd movement, the six note run flows for me if I use
open A, then open F and G 1st valve to finish.  The following triplets, depending on
the horn, I often play all on the Bb, or just switch to Bb to nail the low F with good
control.  Another habit I've developed for the Mozart is to play first space F 2/3 on
the Bb horn up the octave to F on first valve.  The object is to control the timbre
through the slur so the high octave just seems to appear.

The other thing that's fun to experiment with is to find Bb fingerings that work for
stopped horn.