Written "A" (horn in F) played on Thumb Valve alone
tends to be quite flat. Reason? Simple: its position
in the overtone series as 5th (a1) and 10th (a2)
harmonics. Most good horn players don't play a1 with
anything other than T12 as their primary fingering,
although many horn players have an alternate fingering
for a2 - this usually depends on the horn as much as
the player. A1 also tends to sound very
"euphonium-ish" played thumb valve alone. Of course,
in ultra-rapid passages, all this is moot! For a2, you
need to try T12, T3 and T in front of a tuner and see
where they stand. I've found that I like having three
different options and will choose depending on the
musical context and the key/chord structure. One other
minor item to think about - T12/T3 are 12th harmonics
whilst T is a 10th harmonic, offering slightly more
security. For me, that's not an issue, but I do know
some hornists are cautious about playing soft
entrances on a2 with the "longer" horn fingerings.

Just some ramblings after a long day.
Scott

http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/hornhog%40yahoo.com