In a message dated 10/20/2004 3:19:35 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Bill,

You have made a very informative post. One open question,  however, is when
Conn actually started making horns in Abilene. There were  also parts made in
Elkhart that were assembled in Abilene and while this  is only an opinion, I
suspect that there might even be a few horns marked  Elkhart that were
actually assembled in Texas (again, not fact, only  opinion).

The plus 50 rule in determining the manufacture of Eastlake  Conns doesn't
always hold true, either. There are those that accuse Conn  of purposely
trying to obscure serial numbers so that it becomes difficult  to ascertain
date.  Whether you believe that is accidental or by  design has a lot to do
with how paranoid you happen to feel at the  minute.

A tapered rotor is a good way to see if it is an Elkhart horn,  however,
don't exclude the possibility that it was assembled in Abilene  from parts.

Metallurgy formula changed with Abilene  horns.

Although their are regional differences, and condition is  everything, I am
inclined to believe that anywhere from $1500 to $1800  (U.S.) would be a very
fair price for the horn in question...that might  even be a tad low depending
on how well the horn plays.

caveat  lector,

Mark L.

Hi Mark, Bill, et al,

The Elkhart plant closed about August of 1972, TTBOMK.
Some of the first Texas horns were, indeed, made with
some parts manufactured in Elkhart.  Horns were assembled
in Texas from that time on starting with some parts that were
left over from Elkhart.  However, I believe no Texas horns were
assembled with "Elkhart" on the bell.  Tapered rotors don't
guarantee it's an Elkhart horn.  I have an "R" series horn that  was
assembled/mfgd in Texas,  is all original and has tapered
rotors but no "Elkhart" on the bell.  The horns were, as you
mentioned, assembled by inexperienced craftsmen and
some of the first Texas horns are easy to spot because of
the errors in tubing alignment.  BTW, I believe the Texas
plant closed around 1986.

The entire horn has to be evaluated to determine
if it was, in fact , assembled/mfgd in Texas.  I believe the "R"
series horns were the "crossover" horns and all serial numbers
after that are Texas horns.  The 6 digit numbers (319,xxx for
instance) were repeated for a while in Texas which has been a
point of confusion for those who don't know the other changes
that indicate a probable Texas horn.  Other changes were tapers,
metallurgy, pull rings, bell engraving, non-tapered rotors on new
valve clusters, etc.

It was mentioned that the Texas casings were cylindrical and
wore quickly to oval shape and were difficult to rebuild.  This
was my understanding until I had a conversation with E. Schmid.
The Engelbert Schmid horns have cylindrical rotors.  He indicated
that the cylindrical rotors wear at the same rate as tapered rotors
and that it is easier to rebuild a cylinder than a taper.  He said
that if the rotors/casings are made with precision and from the
best materials, they will last long regardless of taper.  He said
that if a horn needs a rotor rebuild, he simply bores the casing
to an oversize and laps in a new oversized rotor ... faster and
cheaper.  I would be interested to hear from knowledgeable folks
if their experience differs.  The bearings are another story.

It was indicated that the Texas horns are identical in shape to the
Elkhart horns.  The taper of the leadpipe depends on where the
worker cut the pipe from the mandrel.  The tuning depends on,
among other things, how long the bent parts of the tuning slides
are made, etc.  Cold solder joints, loose braces, internal solder
blobs, air leaks, loose tolerances ... there is an endless list of
ways a careless worker can ruin a horn that has great  potential.

Prices??  Check hornplayer.net for asking prices.  Check eBay
completed auctions for selling prices keeping in mind that the
"sold" prices are for horns that are sight unseen and unplayed.
The truth is somewhere in between for horns with provenance or
for horns that are known to be good players.  I have seen the
Conn 8D sell for $500 up to $6,000.

Disclaimer:  The above ramblings are a distillation of many
readings and conversations with pros, repair folks, horn mfgrs,
and folks who worked at the Elkhart plant.  I collect horns  and
have gone through a number of 8Ds dating from 1937 through
the present so some of the above is from personal experience.
As always .... your mileage may vary ... if so ... please share
with the list.

Regards,    Jerry Old in Kansas City.