Here's the decoded version of Bill's message

------------------

As an engineer, I appreciate that for acoustic waves turning corners, making
curves 'gentle' is mostly a result of relying on intuition rather than
understanding physics.  Is this common knowledge among those who apply
modern technology to instrument design?  You are the first respectable horn
designer I have ever heard mention this fact.

For those less informed, the problem of bends in an instrument has two
aspects.  One is simply air flow, which will respond to straightening curves
the same way unkinking a hose will.  The other aspect is bending the actual
acoustic wave.  The optimization of this tends toward using straight tubing,
as much as possible, and designing couplers between the straight sections to
make the bends.  The couplers geometry is optimized by reflection angles
directing the acoustic wave around the corners.  Knowing the nature of the
acoustic wave will identify places where you absolutely don't want to locate
a bend.  The optimum shape of the coupler will undoubtedly deviate from a
simple bent tube.

Interestingly, I have one instrument in my collection whose design would
indicate some understanding of the physics.  It is my oldest brasswind, an
antebellum contrabass Saxhorn made by E.G. Wright in the 1850's.  Wright's
designs are characterized by lengths of straight tubing connected by short
couplers turning very sharp 180 degree bends.  The couplers will couple two
3/4" tubes running within 1/8" of each other.

I'm not sure what the engineering reasoning was behind Wright using these
uniform 180 degree couplers wherever possible.  I have split coupler that I
showed to Robb Stuart because it far exceeds my ability to bend large
diameter tubing.  Robb thinks he can bend one, but will require several
annealing stages.  Wright horns are among the best players from the era.
This horn rivals the best horns being made today.  Just about the time I was
congratulating Mr. Wright on his forward thinking design, I further studied
the cracked crook from the perspective of my manufacturing engineering
experience.  I discovered that rather than being a labor of love to bend the
tubing, each coupler was made of two stamped shells silver soldered
together.  I surmise each shell was stamped from sheet stock, then the
mating flanges sanded to produce a sharp inside corner.  After soldering,
the remaining flange was trimmed back flush to the outside wall.  It looks
just like a piece of tubing with an incredibly difficult bend, except it has
two seams right where the flanges were.  So was it a cost saving step or an
application of physics way before its time?