I'm not too familiar with the Yamaha horns except that their manufacturing control is
so good that the student models are apt to be as good as, or better, than the hand
made custom version of the same instrument.  Try before you buy.

The Conn 6D design was the original Conn professional model.  In the sixties, I seem
to recall the 6D and 28D (brass 8D) having similar prices, and the NS 8D cost about
$100 more.

As with all Conn horns, the Elkhart instruments have the best reputation and respect.
Elkhart 6Ds usually go for $400-500 on ebay, and a valve rebuild to better than new,
if needed, would still keep it in the $1000 range.  There are any number of
after-market leadpipes that turn the 6D into a really exquisite instrument, suitable
for professional playing.  With the growth in interest in medium bell horns, Geyer
size, the rediscovery of the 6D is only a matter of time.