Steve, both the 6D and the 567 are great high school level horns and could
be played beyond that.  I started on a Conn single F horn but was moved up
to a 6D as a sophomore and junior.  As a senior I got an 8D but sfter high
school graduation I had to take a college horn, which put me back on a 6D.
Good horn, though, and I progressed well on it.  I even bought my daughter a
used 6D when she was in high school.   I now play an 8D and in our horn
section we have two 8D's, a Holton 187, and a 6D.  The holton is the one
which has trouble blending in.

The only time I ever played a 567 was after I had not played for 10 years,
and I would have sounded bad on just about any horn then. :-)

Jim McDermott
Lake Area Community Orchestra

message: 9
date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:46:47 -0400
from: "Steve Freides" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Any education is most welcomed.  At the very least, I can see why a beginner
would prefer the 6D to the 567 - it is, overall, more forgiving.

Many thanks in advance.

-S-