You're on the right track, but it's more complicated than that. It's got to do
with impedance matching and the fact that at the bell most of the sound energy
is reflected back into the horn. Cabbage could explain it in more
understandable terms. Heck, he has to make himself understood by college
freshmen.

Herb Foster