I own and have heard the recording several times.  It is quite good from an
interpretive standpoint as Lindberg seems to be a very musical player in any
repertoire.  From the sound standpoint, there is no mistaking that it is a
trombone.  I heard him live in recital a few years back and I'll assume he used the
same equipment as in this recording.  It was a very narrow bore, small belled
instrument by a Russian maker I never heard of.  I did not get a good look at
the MP but I would assume it would be smaller as well.  His sound is very
clear, open (naturally) and somewhat more compact than the typical symphonic
trombonist but I have heard jazzers play with more of his type sound.  Actually,
he sounds a lot like Tommy Dorsey!  His dynamic range was excellent but the
soft end is where you wish the hand was in the bell and it was pointing backwards.

I heard Gerard Schwarz, now music director of the Seattle Symphony, play the
Brahms Horn Trio on a Miraphone oval shaped four rotary valved flugelhorn many
years ago when he was still principal trumpet of the New York Philharmonic.
It was a very nice performance but I think Brahms was rolling over, as they
say.  Gerry even admitted to me later that the only reason he did it was that he
was bored with the trumpet literature and looking for challenges and also,
that's why he took up conducting.  Just got bored with playing.  I tried that
flugelhorn of his and liked it.  I joked that I was going to buy one and take up
playing the trumpet literature on it until the critics liked my horn playing
better.  We got a good laugh!

I look at this stuff as gimicks by these guys.  I admit that the trumpet,
'bone, euphoniumists and tuba players have a dearth of repertoire compared to us
but why can't they just live and let live.  I think they have inferiority
complexes because they know they play a lesser form of brass than we do.  Playing
string transcriptions, though, or arranging overtures and symphonies for 8,
12, 16 horns, THAT"S DIFFERENT!  The bow jockeys in the wire quire deserve it.
The cellists have stolen pieces from us!  Janos Starker recorded Mozart 3 and
Rostropovitch use to play Strauss 1!  Who would want to play a wired box
anyway?  They practice 8 hours a day! They see more notes on one page than we see
all season!  The only easy thing about it is not having to transpose or switch
to mellophone.  Hmmmmmmm, some of them switch to viola, though, don't they?

KB

Jon wrote:
I hope most of you out there have heard the virtuosity of the trombone
player Christian Lindberg. Anyway. in a recording in 1998(i think) he did
the Mozart Horn Concertos on his trombone (he used one that made it sound
pretty much like a horn). Reviews said that that it was remarkable. one
ofthe grammaphone critics said that he "prefered his [Chiristian Lindberg's]
version to the best horn recordings of the piece." Which comes to my point.
Has anyone heard his version of the horn recordings? if so, how does it
compare and is it worth the money?

Regards,
Jon