> I'm looking for Christmas music (or other music that might be available)
> for 2 flutes (or flute and oboe), 2 clarinets, and horn.  Anything out
> there?
>
> Joyce

My project of presenting Danish hymns and carols in modular arrangements
allowing for very flexible instrumentation:

by now encompasses 10 Danish carols covering the church year from Advent
through Epiphany.

There are in depth instruction files and programme note documentation files
to help out also those less schooled in ensemble leadership.

Yet I would suggest these uses of my playing scores in the two situations
you may encounter:

If 2 flutes, 2 clarinets, and horn:

1st flute plays the soprano (lead) line from the flute ensemble score

2nd flute plays the tenor line from the flute ensemble score

1st clarinet plays the soprano line from the score for Bb soprano and bass
instruments

2nd clarinet plays the alto line from the score for Bb soprano and bass
instruments

the horn plays the bass line from the score for horn quartet (horns in F);
this bass line is available in treble as well as in bass clef

This will ensure a good balance with a relatively prominent representation
of the melody.

If you want to play with flute and oboe, then the situations is different,
as the oboe tends to stick out, if it does not play the tune. At least in
ensembles without too much experience. Hence this suggestion:

the flute plays the soprano (lead) line from the flute ensemble score

the  oboe plays the soprano line from the string score

one clarinet plays the alto line from the score for Bb soprano and bass
instruments

the other clarinet plays the tenor line from the score for Bb soprano and
bass instruments. This score allows that to be done in the 8 foot octave as
well as in the 4 foot octave. Which one you may choose should depend on the
skills and the taste of your ensemble. The 4 foot option demands a better
player, but also allows for some very tight ensemble playing.

the horn still plays the same bass line.

Should one of your clarinets master the bass clarinet, then the horn offers
itself as an obvious choice for especially the soprano and tenor lines. The
horn never has to go higher than G on top of the staff when playing the
melody (that of course also goes in the all horn quartet).

As you may understand from the above, the 9 compatible sets of playing
scores will allow the combination of any standard instruments into well
sounding ensembles as long as good balance is observed. That you will play
musically and in tune is something, which I take for granted.

My download homepage has a link for the index of all my uploaded music
files. You can download them for free, when I have received your reply to my
"Welcome"-mail. Players already approved of course have direct access.

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark
Retired teacher

45MB+ of free music files in .pdf format:
(Approved membership required)

Index over 1GB+ of brass instruments galleries and catalogue scans:
(Membership is open for all)

PS: it is most important, that you reply to the Welcome-mail. Please don't
assume, that I should know you from your mail address or from a non-specific
Yahoo-profile.