Whenever I see Grieg's name I think back to several years ago, when our
orchestra league published a flyer to advertise an upcoming concert which
stated that on the program was "Greg's Piano Concerto".  Everyone was amused
except the music director (who otherwise has a great sense of humor).  We all
joked that after Greg had had his turn is would be time for "Mike's Piano
Concerto" or "Pam's Piano Concerto".  For a different concert, this same league
had us performing Beethoven's Erotica Symphony.

Fred

Margaret Dikel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In the bio by Stephen Pettitt, p 64 shows a photo with Richard
Hargreaves (baritone), Dennis, and John Burden (horn) in front
of an orchestra (Royal Academy?) conducted by Herbert Withers. The
piece in rehearsal is Grieg's "Der Einsame".

And for 2 horns and choir, Brahms wrote some lovely songs for
women's chorus, 2 horns, and harp, which are just magnificent.
And the vocal parts are nice too. :-)

Margaret

At 10:11 AM 11/16/2004, you wrote:
>I recall reading a Dennis Brain biography years ago in which there was a
>picture of Dennis and (I think) Norman del Mar, from their Royal Academy
>days. They are standing out in front of an orchestra and, if I recall
>correctly, playing a Brahms piece.
>
>The question, what Brahms work would feature two horns in such a way that
>they would be out front? Could be tricky question these days as I recently
>watched a DVD video of Rattle & Berlin doing Mahler's 5th, and in this
>performance the principal horn stood out front as a soloist.
>
>Though I've long been an advocate of orchestra players being documented on
>record jackets and generally getting more exposure, I never thought I'd see
>a performance of "Mahler's 5th Horn Concerto with incidental orchestral
>accompaniment."
>
>Anyway, back to Brahms. What was the piece in the Brain biography? I may
>know the piece, and may even have it in my collection of recordings, but
>have never seen a "two horns out front" Brahms orchestral work.
>
>Perhaps it was not Brahms, in which case, can anyone tell me what the piece
>from the Brain biography was?
>
>...and while I'm typing, is there a nice 10-12 minute work (by one of the
>masters) for orchestra and chorus that features the horns?
>
>jrc in SC

Margaret Dikel
JCCSO Librarian / Horn
11218 Ashley Drive, Rockville MD 20852