It is received wisdom among singers that the reason a trained singer can cut
through an orchestra is that there is a hole in the frequency spectrum of an
orchestra around 3000 Hz--just where the singer's formant is. When I hear a
trained baritone singing, I find the pitch hard to discern because of the
"screeching" of the singer's formant. Of course it's not exactly at 3000 Hz,
but at a harmonic of the fundamental pitch he is singing. Maybe the Viennese
horn has a "Viennese horn formant" aroung 3000 Hz. Then, of course, the
Viennese horns and singers would be competing for the same channel...

Herb Foster