This piece, labelled op.17 by the 14-year old Richard Strauss is also
labelled by him as "not for human lungs & lips". It has some passages in
the last part, he obviously remembered when writing his 2nd concerto
sixty three years later.

The piece has an original version, still unpublished (he did not want to
get it published ever), and the 2nd version, which existed in a
professional Viennese copyists hand writings, the composer dedicate to
Prof.Karl Stiegler, I think on the occasion of his (R.Strauss) 60th
birthday, when Karl Stiegler & his philharmonic colleagues played a
serenade to him. I passed out (free)  plenty copies of this version, as
I owned the original. The Strauss family did not oppose to that, but
officially respected the composers will not to publish it.

This piece is quite challenging.

But why do so many horn players hunt for pieces by such prominent
composers, while we have a multitude of pieces by less known composers
or fellow horn players composers through all musical styles ? These
pieces deserve more attention even there are few samples to hear them
before studying or even buing them. But there is everything written in
the parts, how & where to breath, accents, tenuto, slurs, crescendo etc.
All tempi are given, interpretation advice is given by the musical text.
One has to read & understand it. There are not so many different Italian
terms to learn.