Some of you may be aware of Curtiss Blake and his efforts to amass an all-encompassing collection of horn recordings. I had read about this collection many years ago in the Horn Call and found that it had found its way the library at the Madison campus of the University of Wisconsin. My attempts to search the catalog via telnet a few years back were not terribly fruitful, but I did some research tonight and see that 5926 items have been cataloged and can be searched via:

http://madcat.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Title&SEQ=20041124215859&PID=5630&SA=Blake+collection

Of course, you have to pay a visit to the listening facility at UWM to actually hear any of the recordings, but just being able to peruse this mind-boggling catalog ought to make many of us horn-junkies greatful to Blake and the librarians who created those thousands of catalog records. Now all of you who are doing such and such a piece on your junior recital that doesn't happen to be one of the top ten most popular ones can find out if there is a recording without troubling the good old hornlist. I can think of many more reasons that one would find this of use and endless fascination, but maybe that's just my weirdness.

Peter Hirsch