A bell that is high quality and very available is the Elkhart Conn 6D.  Another
is Pottag model Reynolds.  These horns were created with medium throat bells.
The Holton 77 is also a good candidate, but quite rare.  I've been told that
the Elkhart Conn 4D shares a bell with the 6D, which would probably go for less
than $100 on eBay.

Both the Pottag and the 6D come stock with fairly large leadpipes.  A Pottag,
in good playing shape, would likely be a better playing horn than the Merker,
especially in tone quality, but most Americans gravitate to the larger horns.
The Pottags I've seen in pro hands tended to be slanted towards solo and
ensemble work.  I recall seeing a Pottag associated with Jan Bach being offered
for $3500.

I've modified several 6Ds with smaller leadpipes with terrific results,
producing a smaller horn with agile response.  Perfect for solo and ensemble
work.  The 6Ds produced with a Buescher stencil have a modified leadpipe
tapering almost to the valves, right through the main tuning slide.  This
version is vastly superior, but smaller than, the stock 6D.

The places that do this kind of modification have businesses to run and custom
parts to sell.  I've had to learn to do my own work to be able to build an
interesting collection and satisfy my own curiosity.  My initial investment in
tools was about $500, but now I realize that I could get most of that back from
someone else wanting to try their hand, and might even be able to find used
tools.  A couple of junker horns will teach you how much damage is potential
and you quickly learn how to approach each task so you can do it over and over
until you satisfy your own expectations.  If you make a resolution to scrape
clean all your solder joints, you very quickly learn how to solder without a
mess.  Ferrees has everything you need, including a reprint of the Eric Brand
repair manual.  You won't fully appreciate how much information is in the book
until you attempt a task, then go back and reread every word.