You beat me to the email machine!  You are quite right.  Professor Pizka
while a busy man has addressed this on his website. <
http://www.pizka.de/GMahler2.htm>.  Schmetternd is stylistic in origin and
does not refer to bell position.  I would side more with the brassy than the
blaring if at all possible and within good taste (?!?!?).

The Jack Attack!

Richard in Seattle writes:
I always thought that "Schalltricher auf" or similar phrases meant "bells
up," and that "schmetternd" (brassy or blaring) was a stylistic indication.
In other words, a horn can be played in a loud and blaring fashion (that is,
on purpose) without resorting to bells up. Have I been playing Mahler wrong
all these years?