Hi,
  I have sold about 300 times on Ebay so far.  If a buyer backs out I can
offer the item to the next highest bidder with a "Second Chance" offer
through Ebay.  Ebay does this to keep me from contacting the buyers directly
and cutting Ebay's sale profit.

This week a few of us got Second Chance offers on a horn we had bid for.  My
bid was so low I really didn't understand why they would consider selling it
to me on the bounce.

This was a scam, I was lucky in that I knew the seller and his address did
not match the second chance offer's sellers.

A bigger Scam clue was that the instructions were to contact the Second
Chance seller directly.   There is no reason Ebay would do this, it would
cut into their profit for a direct sale to take place with Ebay out of the
loop.

If you get a Second Chance offer that tells you to respond directly to the
seller it is a scam.  If you get one that makes you work through Ebay it is
most likely legit.

Regards,
Leonard in Laredo