Ted sez:
> I have recently started giving horn lessons to my fiancé (that could be
> a thread in itself: good idea or bad idea?).

I think yes and yes.  The book currently in my loobrary deals with
techniques of persuasion; it makes the point that people respond
positively to body language in many subtle forms, among which are
synchronized breathing and holding one's body similar to the other person.
At least for these reasons, playing music together can induce and enhance
a harmonious relationship, as if that has to be said.  But embarking on a
teacher/student relationship weighted with the technical difficulties
posed specifically by the peculiarities of the horn, could bring on
frustrations sufficient to wreck the desired harmonious synchrony.

It might be better to begin playing duets together with simpler
instruments, like recorders; alto or tenor recorders, so as to reduce the
ringing in the ears and the likelihood of the police at the door.  Then
graduate to horns after establishing a successful musical basis.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }