The following message is a Horn List Encore Presentation (i.e. re-run). The information it gives is as valid today as it ever was. However, it might not help fully cure performance jitters for an audition that's only 1 month away. However that may be, this advice might help & it can't hurt. So take what you want & leave the rest.

Here goes: Performance nervousness that shakes your sound is a Catch-22 problem. The antidote is confidence. But fear that you might sound shaky is a guaranteed confidence-buster. (That is, if you're afraid you'll sound quivery, you probably will.)

To break the vicious circle, you need to gain the confidence that comes with playing so frequently under the pressure of performance conditions that you simply get used to it & the fear diminishes or goes away. Over time, you build the confidence that only comes from having already played steadily & repeatedly under real-time performance pressure.

How do you get that kind of confidence when your performance anxiety is already feeding on itself?

First, you promise yourself that if you're going to mess up it won't be because you're not prepared. Second, you do whatever it takes to acquire plenty of performance experience. You form or join a small ensemble (e.g., brass quintet, woodwind quintet) where there's no place to hide & in which you do lots & lots of public performances -- not just rehearsals, but real performances (i.e. you go out & get gigs).

After a while, you'll get so accustomed to the pressures of public performance that you won't be shaky any more. Your confidence will grow to the point that even when you're nervous, nobody will know but you. That's because your sound will be consistently strong, steady, & sure. And that confidence will carry over into self-assured auditions, as well as solid ensemble playing -- even when you're on the spot with a solo that all your fellow ensemble-members, plus the audience, are waiting to hear you play.

There is no substitute for performance experience. Individual practice & ensemble rehearsals are fine; they're indispensable. But they aren't enough, because they are just not the same as real performances in front of real audiences, and that's the kind of frequent, repeated performance experience you need to beat those shaky-sound jitters.

Keep practicing & good luck.

-- Alan Cole, rank amateur
   McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.