There are many of us who play off-the-leg for this very reason. When I play
with my horn on my leg, I am hunched over and cannot breathe correctly. Like
you, I have a long body for my height: when I am sitting correctly, my horn
does not reach my leg. Sit up correctly and play off-the-leg. There should be
much less difference from standing. Standing will still be better because you
can breathe more deeply when standing. Ask any singer.

Herb Foster