the sound'. Also, when I start to tire, intonation and range suffer - so
adequate endurance is critical.

The mpcs that have been most useful for me are a #11 bore Holton DC, and a
#12 bore Moosewood B12. Also, I've had best results with a 'medium' depth
cup (e.g. the B12).

Of course, all this must balance the ability and capacity of the player,
and whether the pieces being played are at the extremes of the players
ability.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY
amateur player
------------------
Steve Freides steve at fridayscomputer.com
wrote:

I noticed when cleaning my son's Yamaha 30C4 mouthpiece that it's distinctly
harder to get my cleaning brush through the tubing that's after the cup
portion.  I'm pretty sure the bore (inside diameter) is smaller than the
7BW mouthpiece I play.  So, two questions:

1.  All other things being equal, if this bore is narrower, how would it
change playing the horn?  I don't want to use my son's mouthpiece (wouldn't
bother me but it seems to gross him out) but I'm curious.

2.  Is there a primer online anywhere that discusses the individual
parameters of mouthpiece construction and how they change tone, perceived
playing difficulty, ease of hitting high and low notes, etc.?  I could use
one.

Many thanks in advance.

-S-