If the parents can't afford a new horn, you might try to convince them to purchase a good used. I can understand why someone wouldn't want to go the Ebay route, but I would suggest using Hornplayer.net..

The Brasswinds has to be a stencil horn, no telling who is making them, and whether the horn will play in tune. For the sake of your student and their development, try to get the parents to purchase a better quality horn.

My .02 worth

Walt Lewis